guix-devel

Re: Stratification of GNU Guix into Independent Channels

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: Stratification of GNU Guix into Independent Channels
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 12:37:17 +0100

Hi jgart,

IMO, having everything in one repo, while going against the "modularity"
philosophy, really helps a lot when updating packages.  In my experience
with the Other Channel That We Should Not Talk About, there often are
breaking changes in the main repository that lead to the other channel
being broken for a couple of days.  It would take way longer for changes
to propagate things to the "leaf" channels.

Also, you can't reasonably expect programs to be categorized that well
(although I'm pretty sure there could be consensus on non-PITA
vs. PITA-packages with the usual suspects :) ).

I don't think there is a way to reconcile the "complete system
distribution" and "completely modular distribution" viewpoints, at least
at that level.  The channels approach that exists for now is a nice
pragmatic solution that still allows quite a lot of freedom.

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret