guix-devel

Re: guix package path

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: guix package path
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 15:57:43 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 at 23:42, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> We don’t have enough info to be sure, but could it be that there are two
> ‘gtklp’ packages in your package collection, for instance because
> ‘gtklp-bad-tool’ is also public?  ‘specification->package’ prints a
> warning if it’s ambiguous.

I do not think the issue is about your assumption.  I guess it is about
Guile modules and compilation.

The package gtklp-bad-tool is defined by:

(define-public gtklp-bad-tool
  (package
    (name "gtklp")
    (version "1.3.4")
[...]

Then gtklp is defined by:

(define-public gtklp
  (let ((toolchain (specification->package "clang-toolchain@10")))
    (package-with-c-toolchain gtklp-bad-tool `(("toolchain" ,toolchain)))))

Here, the issue is ’(specification->package "clang-toolchain@10")’.  For
instance, you get:

    $ guix show -L /tmp/my-guix sbcl-lispiec
    guix show: error: sbcl-lispiec: package not found

where nothing is ambiguous; the package ’sbcl-lispiec’ is unrelated to
both gtklp-bad-tool or gtklp.

If you replace [1] ’specification->package’ by the symbol
clang-toolchain-10, then it just works.

Last, if you use the broken channel with ’specification->package’ but
instead of --load-path, you run “time-machine” or “pull”, then the issue
is gone.

https://gitlab.com/acpadoanjr/my-guix/-/blob/0e540b6fce0409330cb1ca3453d81f18c8e60163/my-packages/extra.scm#L71-115
https://gitlab.com/acpadoanjr/my-guix/-/blob/0e540b6fce0409330cb1ca3453d81f18c8e60163/my-packages/extra.scm#L313-315
1: <87cz8fo412.fsf@gmail.com">https://yhetil.org/guix/87cz8fo412.fsf@gmail.com>