guix-devel

Re: LaTeX packaging policy

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: LaTeX packaging policy
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2023 10:05:42 +0100

Hello!

Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz> skribis:

> While using a bit of LaTeX recently, I've noticed some packages don't
> work "out-of-the-box", at least on LuaLaTeX, and need some additional
> propagated inputs.  Examples would be babel-french needing scalefnt,
> fontspec needing luaotfload, or hyperref needing stringenc.  Is there
> any established policy for what propagated-inputs need to be included in
> package definitions?  Should we add some LaTeX specific packaging
> guidelines in the manual, like for Python or Rust (the former is
> outdated by the way, mentioning Python 2 packages).

I noticed the lack of propagated inputs for some packages.

I don’t think there’s an established policy.  Ideally, to mimic what’s
done with other languages and to make things work out of the box, we’d
propagate anything that’s needed.  But how difficult would it be to
identify what needs to be propagated?

Thanks,
Ludo’.