guix-devel

Re: advanced?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: advanced?
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2023 12:00:06 +0100

Hello,

(Cc: Luis, for the web site design.)

Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Or if we do want to explain more, then perhaps we need a list of
>> features that would also include things like Docker/VM image generation,
>> declarative home environments, etc.  But that’s broader topic.
>
> Yes, that makes sense.  I'm not the best person to summarize it, but
> starting pointers if someone wants to take it further:
>
> * Dedication to free software goals and the GNU community
>
> * Shepherd init system written in Guile
>
> * Declarative stateless system configurations
>
> * Transactional upgrades and roll-backs
>
> * Reproducible build environments
>
> * Designed towards bootstrappable builds
>
> Maybe this fits better directly in the Introduction section of the
> manual?  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Introduction.html

I guess we should rework the “Introduction” and “Features” sections,
which were written in the early days.

The points you list above are a great starting point, and I guess that
would also be a good fit for the front page; currently there’s no
“feature list” there.  That old “Guix in action” video also ought to be
replaced.

Luis, do you have ideas as to how we could present things?

Thanks,
Ludo’.