guix-devel

Re: Separate packages for wayland variants

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: Separate packages for wayland variants
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2023 22:03:05 +0100

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Brielmaier <jonathan.brielmaier@web.de> writes:

> Happy new year fellow Guix hackers,
>
> I wonder how we usually deal with package variants for wayland support.
>
> In my case I want to make keepassxc working more nicely on sway. It is
> as simple as adding `qtwayland-5` to its input list. Increasing its size
> from 1271.8 MiB to 1303.5 MiB.

My opinion is that those packages should work out of the box on wayland,
and we shouldn't duplicate CI effort by having duplicate packages.

The qt 5 base package should probably include qtwayland-5 somehow,
although I don't really know if that is doable without cycles.  We can
probably have a minimal package and one with qtwayland-5 included. I
don't think it is manageable to add qtwayland-5 to every single
application.

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret