guix-devel

Re: 04/08: gnu: QEMU: Unbundle iPXE.

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: 04/08: gnu: QEMU: Unbundle iPXE.
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 21:24:28 +0100

Mathieu Othacehe <othacehe@gnu.org> skriver:

> Hello Marius,
>
>>             glib
>>             gtk+
>> +           ipxe-qemu
>>             libaio
>>             libcacard                    ;smartcard support
>>             attr libcap-ng               ;VirtFS support
>
> I just noticed that:

> ./pre-inst-env guix build --system=aarch64-linux grub
> /home/mathieu/guix/gnu/packages/bootloaders.scm:101:2: warning: package
> grub@2.06 does not support aarch64-linux
>
> it seems to be because of the following dependency path:

> grub <- qemu-minimal <- ipxe-qemu <- ipxe <- syslinux
>
> with syslinux that only supports x86_64-linux and i686-linux.
>
> I'm not sure how to break that path. It looks like qemu-minimal is
> required by grub for test purposes. Maybe we could restrict that
> dependency and the tests to x86_64-linux and i686-linux?

I don't know what iPXE uses syslinux for (CC Vincent); it appears to
build fine without it.  I made the dependency conditional on
architecture in d15972194aaef17fd1f7fd713d235c70794c9d4f, that way QEMU
should still work on aarch64.

(speaking of aarch64, Cuirass is slowly catching up now:
<https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/8?status=succeeded>).

Thanks for the heads-up,
Marius