guix-devel

Setting up the release team

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Setting up the release team
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2023 18:19:24 +0100

Hello!

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:

>> I think we should start thinking about the next release, forming a
>> small release team, and I’ll be happy to mentor!
>
> Definitively!  Count on me to candidate on such team. :-)

Yay, thank you!!

Who else is able and willing to dedicate time to this?  I think work
could actually start real soon.

As I see it, people on the release team will *not* do all the work.
Rather, they will keep track of things and make sure we together tackle
the relevant tasks so we converge towards a release.  It does not have
to be very technical.

> From my point of view, this team will be a rotating effort.  For
> instance, from 2 to 4 people will be part.  The duty is to be part for 2
> releases; 1-2 person step downs for welcoming 1-2 new person after each
> release.  Well, something similar to NixOS release management.
>
> As usual, the question is about the bootstrap. ;-)
>
> 5: <https://nixos.org/community/teams/nixos-release.html>
> 6: <https://nixos.github.io/release-wiki/Release-Management-Team.html>

Agreed, that would be ideal.

I think we should formalize it at some point along the lines of what
NixOS did, presumably with a section in the manual.

Thanks,
Ludo’.