guix-devel

Time for ocaml-xzy.scm and reorganizing OCaml packages?

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Time for ocaml-xzy.scm and reorganizing OCaml packages?
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 20:05:58 +0100

Hi,

Maybe it is time for ocaml-xzy.scm. :-)

Currently, the file gnu/packages/ocaml.scm contains 315 define-public.
Maybe, it would make sense to have:

 + ocaml.scm for compiler and essentials (as ocaml-findlib or dune)
 + ocaml-xyz.scm for ocaml-<foo> packages
 + ocaml-apps.scm for standalone program written in OCaml as unison,
   ocamlmod, etc
 + ocaml-legacy.scm for the old ocaml4.0x things

WDYT?

Well, with the question of the new ocaml5 thing. :-)

Trying to package some OCaml, I note that the OCaml package named
camlzip is not prefixed with ’ocaml-’ although it can only be used as a
library, IIUC.

$ tree $(guix build camlzip)
/gnu/store/r7p7azlfwrjs5c6kbwb50pvlqxi4k776-camlzip-1.11
├── bin
├── lib
│   └── ocaml
│       └── site-lib
│           ├── camlzip
│           │   └── META
│           └── zip
│               ├── dllcamlzip.so
│               ├── gzip.cmi
│               ├── gzip.cmt
│               ├── gzip.cmti
│               ├── gzip.cmx
│               ├── gzip.mli
│               ├── libcamlzip.a
│               ├── META
│               ├── zip.a
│               ├── zip.cma
│               ├── zip.cmi
│               ├── zip.cmt
│               ├── zip.cmti
│               ├── zip.cmx
│               ├── zip.cmxa
│               ├── zip.cmxs
│               ├── zip.mli
│               ├── zlib.cmi
│               ├── zlib.cmt
│               ├── zlib.cmti
│               ├── zlib.cmx
│               └── zlib.mli
└── share
    └── doc
        └── camlzip-1.11
            └── LICENSE

9 directories, 24 files

Moreover, “guix import opam -r camlzip” returns,

        (define-public ocaml-camlzip
          (package
            (name "ocaml-camlzip")

Well, therefore I would be expecting ocaml-camlzip to be consistent with
the Guix naming convention.  And with this large gnu/packages/ocaml.scm
file containing all the OCaml related stuff, I am guessing that it’s
time to reorganize a bit.  WDYT?

Cheers,
simon