guix-devel

"Sales Pitch" for Guix as Yet Another Python Package Manager

From: jgart
Subject: "Sales Pitch" for Guix as Yet Another Python Package Manager
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 23:20:12 +0000

Hi Guixers,

I'd like to get your opinions/brainstorms on the unique features that you think
make Guix an excellent Python package manager over all the others: pip, poetry,
pyenv, pipenv, conda, etc.

Here are two reasons I can think of:

1. You never get opaque mystery wheels🛞 but always get the Python libraries
built from source including any C/C++ related dependencies. In other words, you
can ensure that the entire "transitive story" can be told and accounted for
down to the primordial berry.

2. Guix makes it easy to have a multi-language environment/project without
having to worry about scrambling to get your non-Python deps with various build
tools/package managers.

3. You want some C, ruby, C++, etc. development dependencies in your Python
project? You got it and from one CLI.

What else makes Guix unique for Python development besides the above 3 points?

The one thing I can say that we are currently missing that pyenv provides is
getting any version of CPython 3 that is currently supported. Guix only
conveniently provides Python 3.9. By convenient, I mean easily available from
master with substitutes available. This is mostly my fault as I haven't spent
the time to package the other CPython versions yet.