guix-devel

Re: UTF-8 progress bar

From: bokr
Subject: Re: UTF-8 progress bar
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 00:34:36 +0100

Hi Ludo, Akib, et al,

On +2023-01-30 23:02:43 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> 👋
  ^^--- interesting: I see that thumb up emoji in mutt's display,
  but not in emacs, which I have configured mutt to use as my editor.

> Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:
>
> > I have a patch waiting (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/59975) that will
> > change progress bars to use some unicode characters. I think they look
> > better, but I'm a bit afraid they might not look right on some config,
> > so I'd like to know if your terminal is able to show these characters:
> >
> > "▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▏▕"

     ^^^^^^^^---seems fine in tilix and Emacs PureOS/Wayland/Gnom
> Confirmed to work for me in xterm and Emacs on X11 (Guix System).
> 👍
  ^^---as above

> Ludo’.

I suspect those characters could be made to work in Akib's console
if his kernel supports KMS and setfont etc ..

So I guess you, Akib, mean $LANG="en_US.utf8" in your execution
context is insufficient to make your system show the utf8 charaters
in question, not that there's no fix possible? ;)

IDK, but perhaps your app could use a wrapper that sets up a font,
along with a utf8 map that will show the necessay characters?

See:
    info setfont
and
    info showconsolefont