guix-devel

Re: What's needed to get things building for i586-gnu (the hurd) post co

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: What's needed to get things building for i586-gnu (the hurd) post core-updates?
Date: Sun, 07 May 2023 12:22:03 +0100

Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
>
> Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> writes:
>
>> I've fixed the #<gexp ... in builder script problem for gcc-cross-boot0,
>> but then I've got a bit stuck on what the remaining issues are.
>
> So, when I say "fixed" here, all I managed to do is stop a gexp ending
> up in the builder script of gcc-boot0. I managed to fix some of the
> problems with the changes I made, but then I tried cross building from
> x86_64-linux, up popped a package which failed to build because it was
> missing the patch. This is relevant as it blocks machines using
> childhurds from reconfiguring past the latest core-updates merge.
>
> While it caused problems, using gexps at least avoided the problem where
> you need to have the patch in the native-inputs as well, so to continue
> going round in circles, that's maybe the direction to now go. As the
> next step though before using gexps in gcc-11, any packages inheriting
> from gcc-11 need to be changed to use gexps for the phases.
>
> I've attempted to do that in #63329 [1], I'll wait to see what the data
> service makes of the changes to see how successful I've been at avoiding
> rebuilds.
>
> 1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/63329

I've merged #63329 now, and also reverted to the gexp based patching in
gcc-11.

The childhurd system test builds for me at least, although it seems to
fail when run.

Native building for i586-gnu seems to have multiple problems, although I
think the gcc-cross-boot0 source issue is the one that seems hardest to
work around to me.