guix-devel

Re: RISC-V (riscv64-linux) substitutes are coming

From: Janneke Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: RISC-V (riscv64-linux) substitutes are coming
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 17:20:24 +0200

Christopher Baines writes:

Hi Chris,

> Almost a year ago now [1] I mentioned that I had received a HiFive
> Unmatched board, but I hadn't got it doing anything yet.
>
> 1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-06/msg00104.html
>
> In the last few days I've made some time to take a look at it again and
> try to get it connected up to the bordeaux build farm.
>
> This has been somewhat successful, you should be able to see the machine
> (named rochor) on the prototype activity viewer [2].

That's lovely!  Because of my the Mes release that should have initial
RISC-V support I've been looking for RISC-V substitutes.  The good folks
over at #bootstrappable advised me to just build using QEMU, the
consensus was that gave dependable results....

However, I found that many packages have failing tests, mostly related
to stack (overflow) checks.  I looked at wip-riscv but that seems to be
1.5y old...so I've building and disabling tests over at

    https://gitlab.com/janneke/guix/-/tree/wip-riscv

Hopefully all this isn't necessary when using real RISC-V hardware!

Greetings,
Janneke

--
Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org>  | GNU LilyPond https://LilyPond.org