guix-devel

Re: The e(macs)lephant in the room and the Guix Bang

From: MSavoritias
Subject: Re: The e(macs)lephant in the room and the Guix Bang
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 17:09:51 +0300

On 9/20/23 17:03, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
MSavoritias <email@msavoritias.me> writes:

On 9/20/23 11:45, Nguyễn Gia Phong via Development of GNU Guix and the
On 2023-09-20 at 10:21+02:00, Csepp wrote:
It's better if we have at least one *well documented* developer setup,
than if we have a bunch of (sometimes conflicting) partial docs
for setting up certain subsystems.

Emacs can be pretty good, once you do (setq make-defaults-not-suck 1)
a bunch of times.
Or even more outrageous, an overriden Emacs package
with all the good stuff for Guix development.
We already have guix shell that spawns a shell
and guix edit that spawns an editor, why no guix boot
that spawns an OS^W^W Emacs with appropriate defaults?

Disclaimer: I use the devil editor that goes by the number
of VI VI VI, so take this suggestion with a grain of salt.

Can't the guile editor be that?

It kind of tries to be already. We just need to promote it and dogfood
it more.
Do you mean Guile Studio?[1]

It was really only intended to be a pre-configured editor for new
Guilers, which is why it includes the picture language and Geiser with
picture display.

But as I wrote there

    There are many more things that can be done to make Emacs less
    confusing for people who use it just as a Guile IDE. I would be happy
    to hear your suggestions or apply patches to improve Guile Studio!

This is still true today.

[1]: https://elephly.net/guile-studio/

I did yeah. That's why i said we should promote it more to newcomers instead of plain Emacs.

I think guile and guix are close that it could easily be a guix-IDE too.

MSavoritias