guix-devel

Re: more than 1,800 dependent packages: website out of date

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: more than 1,800 dependent packages: website out of date
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 09:32:24 +0200

Hi Ricardo,

On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 at 08:35, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> Across the wider GNU system the command for accessing manuals is “info”
> followed by the name of the manual, e.g. “info guix” or “info
> guix-cookbook”.

Yeah but for instance I barely use Info because I never remember how to
navigate and often I have an approximate idea about what I am looking
for and in this case, I am faster with the HTML documentation.

Well, the manual is not shipped with its HTML version.  And I would be
more interested to have an HTML version of the manual with the nice CSS
and friends than to locally have the manual in all the languages – that
I do not speak. :-)

    (Aside, from some sobriety point of view – avoiding to download
stuff that I “waste” – all these translated manuals that I do not read
is about 500KB * 5 = 2.5MB.  The absolute number is not much but at the
end of the day, times the number of “guix time-machine”, it cannot be
neglected, IMHO.)

Cheers,
simon