guix-devel

Re: Need people to help with kernel updates

From: Wilko Meyer
Subject: Re: Need people to help with kernel updates
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 20:31:58 +0200

Hi Leo,

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> For a few years, I've been handling updates of the linux-libre kernel by
> myself.

First of all: thanks for doing this!

> The work itself is fairly mechanical and updates occur about once a
> week. It takes about 30 minutes to prepare the patches and push them to
> CI or send them to the mailing list.

I could imagine myself helping with these tasks. Practically this means,
that, whenever a new linux-libre minor update is being released, the
versions in linux-libre-* packages in gnu/packages/linux.scm have to be
bumped/a patch has to be sent?

Also: Is there anything to know/to have in mind when generating a new
kernel config for major releases?

> There is plenty of support for the CI and QA infrastructure to build the
> kernels, so you don't need a powerful computer.

How's the coverage for different ISA? Do the current CI jobs also cover
all the architectures we seem to support:

'("x86_64-linux" "i686-linux" "armhf-linux"
    "aarch64-linux" "powerpc64le-linux" "riscv64-linux")

or are there cases where it could be beneficial to build locally first
using:

guix build -s $ISA linux-libre

for certain ISAs? I could use my workstation for this, if there's a
benefit to it.

> If you want to join in, please reply!

How would the communication around this be organized? If n>=2 people are
trying to work on the same set of tasks duplication may happen.

--
Kind regards,

Wilko Meyer
w@wmeyer.eu