guix-devel

Re: git send-email

From: Matt
Subject: Re: git send-email
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 18:30:02 +0100

 ---- On Sun, 19 Nov 2023 17:22:47 +0100  Philip McGrath  wrote ---

 >  2. I wish there were a Guix package I could install to read the HTML
 > documentation locally.

This is probably the simplest way:

1. guix shell wget
2. wget https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html

According to the docs
(https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Writing-Documentation.html),
the following should work (but doesn't for me):

1. git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
2. cd guix
3. guix shell -D guix --pure
4. ./bootstrap
5. ./configure --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc
6. make doc/guix.html

It fails with:

 MAKEINFO doc/guix.html
guix.texi:16880: @include: could not find os-config-bare-bones.texi
guix.texi:17057: @include: could not find os-config-desktop.texi
guix.texi:17064: @include: could not find os-config-lightweight-desktop.texi
make: *** [Makefile:4988: doc/guix.html] Error 1

It's worth noting that the Writing Documentation page links to Running Guix
Before It Is Installed
(https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Running-Guix-Before-It-Is-Installed.html)
 when it probably meant to link the previous section Building from Git
(https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Building-from-Git.html)
since it mentions needing to run ./configure first.

My guess is that the above steps will work if you run make before running make
doc/guix.html.