guix-devel

Re: role of core-updates

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: role of core-updates
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 17:02:02 +0100

Am Sun, Nov 26, 2023 at 10:53:46PM -0800 schrieb Andy Tai:
> Hi, hope Guix maintainers can clarify the role of the now core-updates
> branch; the current documentation does not specify the core-updates
> branch as a thing but there are clearly interests and uses of this
> branch for package updates not belonging to a feature branch like
> gnome and it is useful for, say, updating to the GNU make package
> which would have caused world rebuild.  Thanks

When we started implementing the teams idea, I thought we would get rid
of the core-updates branch altogether. I still think it should not exist
as such, but be folded into the teams workflow. I am still mildly worried
that we have this branch into which many unrelated things get dumped,
without a clear responsibility who pushes it forward and on which timeline.

There is a "core" team, but this is probably not the same thing: I think
there are packages outside of the core team scope that cause now inside
the core-updates branch.

Andreas