guix-devel

Re: shepherd: hardening error handling

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: shepherd: hardening error handling
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2023 12:01:12 +0100

Hello!

Attila Lendvai <attila@lendvai.name> skribis:

> the codebase seems to use catch/throw, and at some places with comments like
> "for Guile 2.2". what is the minimum guile version that the shepherd codebase
> wants to support? the README says "GNU Guile 3.0.x or 2.2.x". is this still
> intended? or can i assume guile 3? i.e. use with-exception-handler,
> raise-exception, guard, &co. instead of catch/throw with key and args?

The source of truth is ‘configure.ac’, which reads:

  GUILE_PKG([3.0 2.2])

CI checks that (and in fact ‘guile2.2-fibers’ currently fails to build
due to a non-deterministic test failure):

  https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/latest/dashboard?spec=shepherd

I think we’ll keep it that way in 0.10.x, but for 1.0.x, we can drop
2.2.

When we drop 2.2, we can probably switch ‘with-exception-handler’ & co.,
with care.

Thanks,
Ludo’.