guix-devel

Re: [Guix-europe-sac] Shutting down qa.guix?

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: [Guix-europe-sac] Shutting down qa.guix?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 13:39:37 +0100

Hello,

Am Sat, Dec 09, 2023 at 11:54:59AM +0100 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> I think this underlines a collective failure to get our act together.

indeed, and besides what Simon mentioned about the bank situation I think
there was a certain lack of consistency between deciding on the technical
and on the financial questions. And of course the lack of urgency, since
anyway things continued thanks to Chris... So thank you for all you have
done, Chris, and thank you for taking action now to force us to get our act
together! Indeed QA has become a central part of our project infrastructure.

I suggest the following, which resolves the lockstep between technology and
finance:
- Decide that the funds at the FSF pay for the hosting in its current form.
  Ideally move the billing to Guix Foundation, and then, as we use to do
  for bayfront, periodically ask the FSF to reimburse the hosting cost.
  I think we have an informal consensus for this, and just require a formal
  vote at the Guix spending committee and at the Guix Foundation SAC.
- Reimburse Chris for the costs incurred for hosting before this move.
  As Simon has said, we have a vote for this already, but could also
  start over with the exact amount once the first point is handled, so
  that Chris does not pay for future hosting any more.

Then in a separate step, other people can discuss about potential
technical changes to the hosting situation. It would probably be good
to have a small group of people, including Chris at least for a
transitory period, who take care of the sysadmin part.

Any thoughts on this proposal?

Andreas