guix-devel

Re: cmake-build-system: build tests only if #:tests? is true?

From: Greg Hogan
Subject: Re: cmake-build-system: build tests only if #:tests? is true?
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 11:00:46 -0500

On Sat, Mar 2, 2024 at 4:17 PM Hartmut Goebel
<h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found an old and unfinished patch in my pile. It optimizes building
> with cmake by not building the test if "#:tests?" is false. (Basically
> it passes -DBUILD_TESTING=OFF/ON" depending on "#:tests?".)
>
> Is this of interest? Then I would take my time and finish the patch.

Hi Hartmut,

I have been testing a set of patches (since last summer) based on the
following mailing list discussion (from 2021) to rewrite the
cmake-build-system build, check, and install functions to use cmake
utilities rather than depend on the gnu-build-system. This allows for
parallel tests and a package-defined #:generator.
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-10/msg00055.html

I will submit a patchset shortly for review and if accepted we can
look to combine all the cmake patches for the large rebuild. Perhaps a
version update for cmake-bootstrap (v3.24 released August 2022) at the
same time?

Greg