guix-devel

Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive

From: Richard Sent
Subject: Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 10:57:47 -0400

Regarding Guix development, if the decision is made to not change
existing policy or implement another authorship mechanism, I think some
text could be added to the manual explaining such.

Contributing to Guix is an intentional thing, unlike SWH. Updating the
manual means contributors will, at least, be making an informed decision
to contribute, knowing that names cannot be changed in the Guix repo's
history due to X, Y, and Z consequences in Guix's functionality.

I'm not suggesting that this solution is "the end-all-be-all" or
invalidates alternative avenues, but I feel it is an improvement over
the status quo with no negative tradeoffs. I would not support a
solution that obsoletes time-machine or requires regular manual
intervention during upgrades.

Personally as a new contributor I find it gratifying to see my name in
the commit history.

--
Take it easy,
Richard Sent