guix-devel

Re: Core updates status

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Core updates status
Date: Mon, 13 May 2024 11:49:28 +0300

On Wed, May 08, 2024 at 11:03:02AM +0200, Josselin Poiret wrote:

> The one thing that we need to do right now is update glibc 2.39 with all
> the fixes from the upstream release/2.39/master branch.  I don't think
> we've done this before significantly, but since we have an occasion this
> time we might as well.  We can't really use git-fetch for glibc, so imo
> the only feasible option is like what Debian does [1], which is keeping
> a diff of the 2.39 tag and the release branch and applying it as a
> patch.  We'll then probably need to add autotools to glibc builds, but
> this is doable even in commencement because we have them already
> available at that point.
>
> The own downside of this is that the patch name will not include the
> fixed CVEs, so guix lint won't be aware that the CVEs have been patched.
>
> [1]
> https://salsa.debian.org/glibc-team/glibc/-/blob/sid/debian/patches/git-updates.diff
>
> WDYT?
>
> Best,
> --
> Josselin Poiret

I think that's a good idea, and probably something we should do for the
other copies of glibc we have.  We can also use the package-property
lint-hidden-cves to list the CVEs which are covered by the diff, and
that'll hide the CVEs from 'guix lint'.

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא