guix-devel

Re: Upgrading Shepherd services

From: Attila Lendvai
Subject: Re: Upgrading Shepherd services
Date: Sat, 25 May 2024 09:02:19 +0000

hi Felix,

> And Attila, as for your interaction with Ludo' I am not sure there is
> great value in venting about Ludo' making changes that are difficult to
> rebase upon. It is the privilege of a maintainer.
>
> You are not the only one to have felt that frustration.

well, i have two hats on in this situation:

when it's my developer hat on, then i agree with you.

but when i have the enthusiastic guix user hat on... then i'm a bit concerned
that shepherd seems to be a one-bus project
(https://chaoss.community/kb/metric-bus-factor/). and it has issues that are
stopping me from using guix in ways that i'd like to... which is why i
sometimes put the developer hat on, and then send my contributions... which are
then met with... well... a moderate level of enthusiasm.

now, i, the dev, understand Ludo's perspective: i also prefer spending my free
time hacking ahead on the joyous path of my own plans and inspirations, instead
of reviewing contributions.

but one of these contributions was a fix for a long-standing, and rather hard
to find bug (that, BTW, also caused the recent, multi-day outage of several
guix services). and the rest of the commits in my branch are mostly "just" the
means to finding bugs like that, including the ones in my own services. and
it's reasonable to expect that these commits will be useful for finding future
bugs, too. and i, the user, am somewhat concerned about the way such
contributions are greeted.

now, the situation is tricky here, because i'm both guys... :) and the
concerned voice of the enthusiastic user sure sounds like the whining of a
self-righteous, misunderstood genius... so, yeah. but here we are nevertheless.

> At the same time, your contributions to the Shepherd could be very
> valuable. You are talented and committed to excellence. All you have
> to do---if it's not an overreach for me to say so here---is to get
> yourself on the same page with Ludo'.

that sounds like a monarchy, but my preferred locales are meritocracies... ;)

yet, i think i'm still going the extra mile for now, and i'm jumping even those
hoops that i find arbitrary (even if i argue against them in the process).

> Please forgive my professorial tone.

no, it's welcome, i appreciate your feedback! it has helped me to understand my
internal dev vs. user conflict.

> For example, if Ludo' doesn't want debugging statements all over the
> place there must be another plan to capture the output. (Ludo' has not
> said how, or I read over it.) There is no point to litigate the details

ultimately, you can't escape the fact that only the programmer knows what state
is useful in a sequential log for understanding the dynamic behavior of a
codebase. and "log statements scattered around the codebase" are exactly those
annotations. and in addition they also serve as comments, only "smart" ones
that are also observable at runtime when needed.

> here, but I would be happy to offer my help to mediate so that your
> contributions become more acceptable upstream.
>
> As a rule, I do not contribute to projects where my own direction
> diverges too much, unless I offer features that are universally
> attractive. Life is too short.

sure, i get it. and with only my programmer hat on, i wouldn't even be here
writing this mail... but with my enthusiastic user hat on, i'm all the more
concerned about that sentiment!

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39