guix-devel

Re: CI is not processing jobs

From: Philip McGrath
Subject: Re: CI is not processing jobs
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2024 10:22:06 -0400

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 6, 2024, at 11:05 AM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi Guix!
>
> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> skribis:
>>
>>> The longer story is that Ricardo noticed that the build backlog had been
>>> growing for a couple of months (see “Pending builds”):
>>>
>>>   https://ci.guix.gnu.org/metrics
>>>
>>> We discussed this on guix-sysadmin and found that this was due to the
>>> poor performance of a SQL query at the core of ‘cuirass remote-server’
>>> that was roughly linear in the number of packages in the database.  With
>>> help from Chris Baines, this is now fixed:
>>>

>>> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-cuirass.git/commit/?id=17338588d4862b04e9e405c1244a2ea703b50d98
>>
>> This is now deployed on ci.guix.gnu.org.
>
> This has been running for ~4 days now; the number of pending builds has
> significantly decreased (in particular, you’ll be delighted to get
> substitutes for ‘core-updates’!):
>
>   https://ci.guix.gnu.org/metrics
>
> Almost all the x86 builds have been consumed:

> The “Pending builds” plot above shows we’re reaching a plateau: this is
> because the 382,000+ remaining builds are non-x86_64 and we lack
> resources for these platforms (Arm in particular).
>
> We should probably investigate and cancel builds that correspond to old
> evaluations or now-irrelevant jobsets.

For some reason QA still doesn't seem to be working for
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/71203 (a Racket update I sent on May 26), which I
suspect may be related to this. Could someone take a look?

The page at https://qa.guix.gnu.org/issue/71203 says "Issue not found: This
could mean the issue does not exist, it has no patches or has been closed." The
page at https://data.qa.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/issue-71203 does
recognize the branch, but says "No information yet". The linked commit page at
https://data.qa.guix.gnu.org/revision/2805bc613df06a726035ba19e9b60762487963ef
has one entry in the "Jobs" table, "created 2024-05-26 06:07:51.458233".

I have only surface-level familiarity with the QA system, so sorry if I'm
missing something!

Thanks,
Philip