Re: how to get left hand side symbol in action

From: Christian Schoenebeck
Subject: Re: how to get left hand side symbol in action
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 16:13:25 +0200

On Freitag, 10. Mai 2019 19:43:03 CEST Akim Demaille wrote:
> > Le 10 mai 2019 à 16:28, Christian Schoenebeck <address@hidden>
> > a écrit :>
> > On Freitag, 10. Mai 2019 06:57:00 CEST Derek Clegg wrote:
> >> In fact, I do not think error messages in the generated parser should be
> >> provided by bison, except as a trivial default. Instead, I’d like to see
> >> bison call a function (which I provide) when a syntax error occurs, with
> >> list of what was expected along with what was encountered. Obviously,
> >> they
> >> should be provided without translation. That would be the most flexible.
> >
> > Yep, I can just agree.
>
> Except that you don't.  The API that was proposed initially did not
> fit your need.  At least, that was my understanding of
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-bison/2019-02/msg00018.html

Touché, that was too short, sorry. My "agree" was about the modular approach
of providing error messages in a flexible and custom way, not on the precise
interface that had been suggested in that old post.

My old concerns still apply, that is I still find a push design (that is you
call Bison API functions you need explicitly in your yyerror() implementation
to get just the information you need for the error message) more appropriate,
flexible, powerful and API stable than a pull design (where you would get a
predefined list of information passed to your yyerror_whatever()
implementation; like eat it or leave it).

The push design has various advantages. E.g. Bison can easily be extended with
new API functions if somebody needs another information, without breaking the
previous API and people's existing yyerror() implementations. No matter what
kind of arguments Bison would pass to that suggested yyerror_*() function
today, I am sure later on people would ask about different information to be
provided by Bison as well, or in a different way. Some of them might even be
exotic from your point of view, but legitimate for certain use cases, some
might become replaced & deprecated, etc. Plus developers could duplicate and
modify the parser state without touching the current state to see potential
future information, etc.

> Listen guys (Derek, Christian): how about you submit a patch of what
> you think the feature should be?  Then it will be _much_ easier to
> discuss.  First, agree together (you two), then see what is the reaction
> here, including mine, obviously (since in practice, AFAICT, nobody
> else is offering to spend time to maintain Bison :-).

Before sending any patch, there are various high level questions that would
have to be clarified first. These are not minor changes but rather would imply
huge diff. At least for the purposes that I commonly need them for.

I mean when you look at the example I gave to you, you might see what I am
commonly doing right now to achieve the features discussed. I have like 700
lines of C++ code of (somewhat) generalized parser code (e.g. functions
walkAndFillExpectedSymbols(), yyPushParse()) that I more or less just copy and
paste to the individual .y source files whenever I need the discussed features.
And then I have use case specific code (in the provided example e.g. functions
yyerror() and lscpParserProcessShellInteraction()) which call those
generalized functions and provide/process the results for the use case specific
and individual parser needs.

So what I could imagine is that the generalized functions could become
available in stock skeletons for convenience, in whatever precise form,
language and interface representation. But then again, you might have
completely other opinions if and how these kinds of functionalities might
become available in Bison or you might question my purposes at first place.

Best regards,
Christian Schoenebeck