Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Mailman generates invalid From headers

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Mailman generates invalid From headers
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2021 23:39:06 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> (If this is the wrong list to post this problem, please tell where to
> redirect this.)

I am probably one of the few that continues the distinction that the
mailing lists are in the "Not Savannah" category.  However I agree
that there are too many mailing lists to keep track of.

    https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/NotSavannahAdmins/

    Mailing lists (lists.gnu.org) - the host, mail setup, and Mailman
    installation are managed by FSF sysadmins. Savannah hackers have
    limited (non-root) access to mailing lists and archives. All
    requests for deletion of archived email must go to FSF sysadmin.

The best place for Mailman issues is mailman AT gnu.org.  All of the
FSF staff are on that mailing list as well as the volunteer mailing
list team such as Ineiev and myself too.  So you get the entire group
there.  But this clearly seems like a bug problem so sending to
sysadmin and opening an RT ticket seems good too.

> Mailman's rewriting of 'From:' addresses in GNU mailing lists
> sometimes produces broken results.  Here's an example (from the
> bug-gnu-emacs mailing list):
>
>   From: "gliao.tw--- via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>    the Swiss army knife of text editors" <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> (These are 2 actual physical lines.)  As you see, the quotes don't
> pair up.  The original address seems to be valid, judging by the
> 'Resent-from:' header:

> Why does this happen?  Can it be fixed?

Of course this rewriting is required when the sending site declares
strict DMARC for their domain.  pm.me does this.

    $ host -t txt _dmarc.pm.me
    _dmarc.pm.me descriptive text "v=DMARC1; p=quarantine;"

As far as I know this implemented within Exim on the GNU/FSF systems.
Ian is the person who will know the details of all of this.  Ian?
Help!  :-)

> These unbalanced quotes cause Rmail in Emacs to format the inbox
> summary badly.  I fixed Rmail, but the result is still sub-optimal,
> and it would be good to avoid generating such invalid addresses in the
> first place.

It does seem that if quotes were embedded in the comment string that
they would need to be escaped with a backslash.

Bob