[Savannah-hackers] Re: userv integrated to http://savannah.gnu.org/proje

From: Ian Jackson
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: userv integrated to http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/userv/
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 15:30:26 +0000 (GMT)

address@hidden writes ("userv integrated to
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/userv/";):
>   userv was integrated in the SourceForge.net clone dedicated to GNU
> projects that can be found at http://savannah.gnu.org/. The URL of
> the userv project on Savannah is http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/userv/
> It provides you with the following facilities:

!

This is the first I have heard of this, and it's a very alarming
message to read.  The supporting documentation is poor - I can't
figure out exactly what's going on (perhaps it would be clearer if I
had ever used sourceforge in earnest).

It's clear from your message that you haven't actually examined the
way I currently maintain and manage my GNU software; you haven't even
read the userv web page, which gives the correct contact address to
use, details of the existing mailing lists and CVS repository, etc.

The presence of a userv section in your system may confuse people by
making them think that savannah is an appropriate place to look for
information about userv - which it isn't, at least at the moment.
This problem may apply to all projects for which you've created a
section without asking the maintainers first.

That's not to say that you're not doing a valuable service.  I don't
know if I'd use it personally, but it's clear that many people find
the kind of facilities available in places like sourceforge valuable,
and it's good to have something for Free Software and GNU.

Can I suggest that you send out a message on gnu-prog letting people
know about the availability of savannah, and offering to help set them
up ?  I think that would be better than creating areas without asking
first.

Thanks,
Ian.