Re: [Savannah-hackers] Cron <address@hidden> sf_www --user root --passwo

From: Mark H. Weaver
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Cron <address@hidden> sf_www --user root --password ?????
Date: 27 Feb 2001 00:14:21 -0500

> Sending a password as the subject of an email can be dangerous :)
>
> Messages from this list are being archived and public, I have changed
> that to be private.
>
> (I replaced the password with ?????)
>
> Both lines at: `/etc/cron.d/savannah' have this same "feature", and
> both matches password with root, so that sounds even more dangerous.

Holy cow!!!  This is REALLY bad.

/etc/cron.d/savannah is also a world-readable file, and even if it
wasn't, passwords should NEVER be on a command line, especially not
root's password, because that is readable information via ps.

Please tell me what those scripts are doing and why they need a
password in them, and I'm sure we can figure out a way to avoid this
awful practice.

        Mark