[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Dap statistics and gr

From: sbassein
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Dap statistics and graphics
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:06:02 -0700

Susan Bassein <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Dap statistics and graphics
System name: dap
This package wants to apply for inclusion in the GNU project

My project, Dap, is a small statistics and graphics package based on C. It
provides core methods of data management, analysis, and graphics that are
commonly used in statistical consulting practice.  Anyone familiar with the
basic syntax of C programs can learn to use Dap quickly and easily from the
manual and the examples contained in it; advanced features of C are not
necessary, although they are available. Because Dap processes files one line at
a time, rather than reading entire files into memory, it can be, and has been,
used on data sets that have very many lines and/or very many variables.

Dap is available from:

http://home.earthlink.net/~sbassein/public

I wrote Dap to use in my statistical consulting practice because the utterly
famous, industry standard statistics system (you know the one I mean) is not
available on GNU/Linux and costs a bundle every year under a lease arrangement.
I was generally happy with that system, but there were a number of clumsy
constructs left over from its ancient origins. Thus, I decided to mimic (some
of!) the core of the functionality of that system in the context of the C
language, which allows much more programming flexibility.