[Savannah-hackers] anonymous cvs access

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] anonymous cvs access
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 19:28:35 +0100

        Hi,

        Some time ago I had to cope with the lack of LockDir configuration
facility of the CVS server we were using. I created a "a_<project>" user for
each project and anoncvs was mapped to it. This was meant to cope with the
number of groups that grew too high.

        Thanks to the newly CVS server installed (cvs-1.11.1p1) I was able
to destroy all these users and to redirect the locks to /var/lock/cvs. There
is no need for the anoncvs user to have write access to the repository.

        There was a subtle compatibility trap to avoid. Since some projects
are accessed thru /cvs and /cvsroot/project (autoconf etc.) the same lock
directory has to be used in both cases. Using symbolic links I was able to
avoid inconsistent locking.

        Technical details can be found in the sf_cvs script and in the
savannah.gnu.org/savannah.html documentation.

        Cheers,

75019    Paris         T: 33 1 42 45 09 16          address@hidden