Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of GNU Knowledge Object Server - savan

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of GNU Knowledge Object Server - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:31:52 +0100

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 01:01:53AM +0200, karsten reincke wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:23:22 +0100
> "Jaime E . Villate" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Since your project is not part of the
> > GNU project yet, we cannot accept that project name
> > for it. Of course there are lots of non-GNU projects
> > with names such as gnuplot and gnuboy, but they are
> > not hosted in Savannah.
> >
> > If your project is accepted into the GNU project, you
> > can change its name later on (you can keep calling it as you want in
> > www.gnukose.org, and we do not mind that you have registered that
> > domain, but in Savannah the project should have another name).
> >
> > Please submit your project again with a different name.

> dear sir;
>
> i had already applied for making gnukose part of the GNU project before
> having tried to generated a corresponding project in savannah. My apply
> has been realized by a long mail. I've got two answers for it which signal
> that my apply is worked. (for details see the both attachments). Now I
> don't know, wether your answer (as reaction of my try to generate a
> savannah-projetc) is already the official reaction on my apply.

No, it isn't the group that is reviewing your application to the GNU project
and we (Savannah administrators) are two different groups. We would only
register your Savannah project as a GNU project when we receive a message from
Richard Stallman declaring your project as part of the GNU project.

> If so, i've to answer this:
>
> (1) I've selected the name and registered the domain with the final aim to
> generate a GNU project (indeed as "giving something back to the community
> what I've got)

Good, we do not question your intentions; we just want to avoid confussion by
not assuming that a project will be part of GNU before it is accepted into it.

> (2) I will promote that project under a different name only if the
> community says that they don't want to get it. Therefore concerning the
> savannah integration I will wait until I will have got a final answer
> concerning my apply.  Since I've not got such an
> answer I won't generate the corresponding savannah.project.

OK, that is a option. Since you already started the application process for the
GNU project, you can wait until you get the results and then submit your
project to Savannah.

> (3) But if your answer is already the expected final answer please repeat
> it. In this case I will definitely and immedeately free gnukose.org and
> gnukose.de, and select a new name for a new project which shall not become
> GNU.

As I said, we have nothing to say about the acceptal of you project for the
GNU project. It is wise to keep your domains as you planned and wait for the
results of the GNU evaluators.

Cheers,
Jaime