Re: [arch-users] Re: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah NEEDS sftp; suggestions

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: Re: [arch-users] Re: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah NEEDS sftp; suggestions and offer of help
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 14:41:02 +0200 (MEST)

En réponse à Ethan Benson <address@hidden>:

> On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:30:52AM -0700, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:48:37AM +0100, Jaime E. Villate wrote:
> > >The best I have been able to do was to update from 3.4p1-0.0woody1
> > >3.4p1-1
> > >
> > >Upgrading to 3.6.1p2-4 requires upgrading 32 packages, including the
> > >libraries and that is very risky. It would have to be done by someone
> who
> > >can
> > >at least restart the server if necessary.
> >
> > The risk seems low; I and other Debian developers have been using the
> > current C libraries for a couple weeks now and they are working
> nicely.
>
> you don't have to upgrade any libraries or any other package if you
> just backport the debian sid openssh package to woody instead of just
> trying to install it outright.

I'm personally totally against any backports. If woody exists, it's not just for
the pleasure to run old software.

If we are about to backports stuff from sid, let's run RedHat. They provide
recent package tested.

The only valid reason to backport stuff is hardware compatibility. Are we
planning to run XFree with a Radeon 9000 on the server?

The fact that some people enjoy sid succesfully for their servers is not a
point. The fact that security upgrades exists only for stable is a point.

   -- I\'m right now on vacation and I\'m forced to use an unfriendly tool to
   get/send mail. If you expect a reply from me very soon, add \"urgent\" in
   the subject field --