[Savannah-hackers] Re: Intolerable behavior of James Blair

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Intolerable behavior of James Blair
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:41:12 -0500

Richard Stallman wrote:

> Everyone here is working together for the GNU Project.
> Savannah doesn't belong to anyone in particular; people
> work on it on behalf of the GNU Project.

Just to reiterate and put a fine point on what RMS is saying.  If new
volunteers showed up and was willing to do interesting work on savannah,
we would welcome their help.

As it turns out, Jim is a smart hacker who knows a lot about software
development and system administration.  If he had showed up as a
volunteer, we would have welcomed that help and given him full access
quickly after he showed is prowess.

As it turns out, Jim is being paid to do this work, but the situation of
giving him access is still the same.  He's doing interesting and
important work to improve the software, and we should give him access.
The situation is just the same with Paul Fisher, too.

I encouraged Jim and Paul to add themselves as developers on the savannah
project so that they can work on savannah while Mathieu and other savannah
hackers weren't answering our emails.  However, if anyone on
savannah-hackers has a problem with Jim and Paul working on savannah, I
take responsibility for the decision, and you can complain to me.

I hope, however, that savannah-hackers has not become a place where good
help is rejected in the way that has been suggested on this thread.  We
welcome Mathieu's help still, even though he has been so rancorous toward
us, because we know he knows the savannah codebase well.  Mathieu, or any
others on savannah-hackers: we welcome your help and Jim and Paul look
forward to working with you in a friendly and collaborative way to make
the savannah.gnu.org very functional as well as secure.

--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Executive Director
Free Software Foundation   |  Phone: +1-617-542-5942