Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of VSTa Operating System - savannah.no

From: ajv-onfatinete
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of VSTa Operating System - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:34:16 -0700

--------
[Alaska Subedi <address@hidden> writes:]

>I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah.
>address@hidden writes:
> > Andrew Valencia <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> > License: gpl
> > Other License:
> > Package: VSTa Operating System
> > System name: vsta
> > Type: non-GNU
>Note that Savannah supports projects of the Free Software movement, not
>projects of the Open Source movement.
>
>We are careful about ethical issues and insist on producing software
>that is not dependent on proprietary software.
>
>While Open Source as defined by its founders means
>something pretty close to Free Software, it's frequently
>misunderstood.  For more information, please see
>http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html.

Ok, so a GPL operating system using GPL (or BSD, or some public domain)
tools and programs violates this in what way?

>It looks like VSTa comes with its suite of programs. Are you planning
>to host the whole project at Savannah or just the microkernel? Also,
>you will have to close the sourceforge website if you are to host your
>project at Savannah.

By "suite of programs" I guess you mean the ports of the various commands
and utilities?  For instance, GNU fileutils, gcc, etc.?  Yes, I guess so.

Note that closing projects at SF is more a problem of SF than otherwise;
they do not appear to answer support requests any more.  VSTa was hosted
there until--without warning--my web contents disappeared.  Queries were
never answered, so I'm guessing that projects which want their SF presence
to go away might have a hard time finding somebody who'll do it.  You might
be putting would-be projects in a Catch-22.

In any case, I hadn't heard from you for long enough that I trudged onward,
discovering that my personal hosting company will host my open source
projects, charging me only their own cost for rackspace and bandwidth.  I've
always been dumb, but now I'm fat and happy, too. :->

So thanks for looking at my submission, but please close it out.

Sincerely,
Andy Valencia