Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of fluxus - savannah.gnu.org

From: Alaska Subedi
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of fluxus - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:37:34 -0400

address@hidden writes:
 > A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org
 >

 > Dave Griffiths <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
 > License: gpl
 > Other License:
 > Package: fluxus
 > System name: fluxus
 > Type: GNU

 > Fluxus is a small realtime render engine for linux that generates animation
 > from sound.
 >
 > Procedural shapes can be built with values derived from the content of
 > specific harmonics in the incoming sound. Also availible is a full physics
 > system built from the ode library, and a simple artificial life flocking
 > system.
 >
 > Fluxus adheres to the livecoding philosopy (see http://www.toplap.org/) and
 > has been used on stage in live performance programming.
 >
 > The application consists of a 3D render engine built on top of OpenGL, which
 > is bound via guile to a scheme interpreter. The user can control the
 > application only by entering scheme commands or by running previously saved
 > scripts, using the script editor GUI window.
 >
 > http://www.pawfal.org/Software/fluxus/
 >
 > Other Software Required:
 > guile      http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/guile.html
 > fltk       http://www.fltk.org/
 > ode        http://opende.sourceforge.net/
 > fftw       http://www.fftw.org/
 > portaudio  http://www.portaudio.com/
 > libsndfile http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile
 >
 > Other Comments:

The copyright notices in the source files have the term
``Copyleft''. This does not have any legal meaning, so please use
Copyright in the notices. For more information, please see
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#WhatIsCopyleft : "To
copyleft a program, we first state that it is copyrighted", so they
understand Copyleft is based on Copyright, it is not public domain.

The license of portaudio seems GPL-incompatible and possibly unfree
because of its second condition. We have asked address@hidden
regarding this issue. Do you want us to contact the portaudio
developer and ask if she/he wants to release it under BSD or GNU LGPL?

Thanks,

Alaska Subedi