Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of openSkat - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Jonathan Gonzalez V.
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of openSkat - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:01:25 -0300

address@hidden writes:

> Heiko Stamer <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl Other License: Package: openSkat System name: openskat
> Type: non-GNU

> of the german card game Skat for multiple players over IRC (Internet
> Relay Chat).
>
> It works in something like the 'honest-but-curious' (or semi-honest)
> adversary model, thus we do not care about robustness or
> availability (in sense of DoS). Fairness is based on several
> zero-knowledge-proofs from Christian Schindelhauer's research paper
> "A Toolbox for Mental Card Games". The success of an cheating
> participant can be bound by a security parameter t, such that this
> probability is less or equal than 2^{-t}. However, the original card
> encoding upon quadratic residues was very communication-complex,
> e.g. if t = 8 the network traffic for each player had amounted to 10
> megabyte per game. Further the computational complexity was not
> negligible. Now a better solution from Adam Barnett's and Nigel
> P. Smart's "Mental Poker Revisited" has been implemented.
>
> OpenSkat has an graphical user interface based on xskat 3.4 from
> Gunter Gerhardt [http://www.xskat.de/]. The modified sources (notice
> xskat license) are included and require an X11 environment.
>
> Other Software Required: GNU MP Library (libgmp), version >= 4.1 GNU
> Crypto Library (libgcrypt), version >= 1.1.90 GNU Readline Library
> (libreadline), version >= 4.1 GNU Database Manager (libgdbm),
> version >= 1.8.0 ncurses Library (-lncurses) zlib Library (-lz)

Hi Heiko Stamer:

I saw that in one of dependence of openSkat project you use xskat,
we're trying to find out if is a GPL-Compatible license or not.

In the other hand can you look for another name to your project?

This is because we supports projects of the Free Software movement,
not projects of the Open Source movement.

We are careful about ethical issues and insist on producing software
that is not dependent on proprietary software.

While Open Source as defined by its founders means something pretty
close to Free Software, it's frequently misunderstood.  For more
information, please see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html.

On the other hand we wish to review your source code, even if it is
not functional, to catch potential legal issues early.

For example, to release your program properly under the GPL you must
include a copyright notice and permission-to-copy statements at the
beginning of every file of source code.  This is explained in
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.  Our review would help
catch potential omissions such as these.

Best regards