[Savannah-help-public] [sr #105608] Project requirements pages need upda

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #105608] Project requirements pages need updating?
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 19:38:14 +0000

> 1. "Using a format such as Flash, RealPlayer and Quicktime, that
> can only be played using non-free software is, in effect, to
> recommend use of that non-free player software."
>
> Should flash be in this list, now that we have Gnash ?

I reworded the paragraph to make it clearer: the files needs to be created /
editable using free software, and the free replacements need to be at least
as good as the proprietary one.

In the case of Gnash, it's not fast enough (2 frame/s here). Until the Cairo
backend is done, it essentially requires a 3D card, which nowadays almost
always run with proprietary software only, which is a non-trivial issue.

If your particular Flash file plays as well with Gnash than with Macromedia
Flash, there's no problem with uploading it at Savannah. In the opposite
case, you're essentially enticing users to use Adobe Flash for a decent "user
experience", so that's not a good value to promote.

> 2. "You may not place any GIF files on a site hosted here."
> Now that all the patents have expired, is there any reason for
> this restriction ?

It expired 2 days ago ;)

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html#venuenote

I fixed it.