[Savannah-help-public] New feature of source-highlite planned?

From: Alexander Koeppe
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] New feature of source-highlite planned?
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 06:35:51 +0200

Dear developers,

our Perl-community is developing a fast board written in Perl.
For highlighting issues we're using source-highlight.

But we got some compatibility problems with source-highlight and a
static HTML table based design.

We're embedding the highlighted code directly into the tables. When some
lines are very long, the page becomes as long as the longest code line is.
We were trying to leave the <pre><tt> Tag at the beginning and at the
end and for newlines <br /> but then tabs won't be visibile any more
cause of collapsing the white spaces by the browser.

The CSS Option white-space:pre-wrap; solves this problem at the
browser-side. But it's an CSS2.1 feature an is only implemented in the
Opera 8.x+ browser.

I wasted very much time to find a fast and performant way to solve this
with manipulating the HTML-output without many success.

I though maybe it's the best way to expand source-highlight with an new

In conclusion...
Is a feature planned like this? Is it possible that I try to implement
it? I hav'nt worked on a opensource project yet.

With kind regards

Alexander Koeppe