[Savannah-help-public] [sr #106651] Savannah should not use CAcert.org-s

From: Reed Loden
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #106651] Savannah should not use CAcert.org-signed SSL certificates
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 09:52:46 +0000

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
        Operating System: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Savannah (both .gnu.org and .nongnu.org) are currently using SSL certificates
signed by CAcert.org. Karl mailed savannah-hackers-public@ on this issue last
October after he saw my initial mail to bug-gnuzilla@ concerning IceCat's
inclusion of the CAcert.org CA root. Frankly, it's scary that Savannah is
using a certificate from a root that doesn't have full knowledge of where its
private key has been over the last several years. I believe they've
regenerated a new private key lately, but that still doesn't excuse them for
other practices and issues they've had. We shouldn't be trusting them for
something as important as SSL just because they tell us to. Once they've had a
real third-party audit, then we can talk, but until then, Savannah should be
using an SSL certificate signed by an audited CA root.

My original mail bug-gnuzilla@ and subsequent thread -
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnuzilla/2008-10/msg00049.html

Karl's mail to savannah-hackers-public@ and subsequent thread -
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2008-10/msg00006.html

I think this is a very important issue that should be taken seriously. We
should care about the security of Savannah and how it affects users. We should
not be helping to coax users into ignoring valid SSL certificate error pages.
If this is purely a money issue, I'm sure the FSF has enough money to help buy
a valid SSL certificate for Savannah.

I'll be happy to entertain comments/questions/etc. about this, so let me know
what's on your mind.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?106651>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/