Re: Non-ASCII subjects garbled in thread view of the mail archives

From: Svetlana Tkachenko
Subject: Re: Non-ASCII subjects garbled in thread view of the mail archives
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 10:16:42 +1100

Hi Yavor

Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> написал(а):
> Svetlana Tkachenko wrote:
> > There is no encoding specified at this page. I think adding <meta
> > charset="utf-8" /> would resolve this.
>
> Yes, I guess it's something trivial as that.  But the Subject: header
> may be in a different encoding; that's perfectly valid.  The software
> that is generating the web page should take care of this.

The page you linked was generated using the latest version of
https://www.mhonarc.org/ . Yet, another page using the same software
https://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-russian/2019/11/threads.html
also has non-ascii symbols, and they show correctly.
Perhaps it is worthwhile asking if they can offer any suggestions
of how to edit the configuration to make it work correctly.

> > As a separate issue, do you see these subject lines as question
> > marks in the moderation queue notifications in your inbox?
>
> Sometimes.  I don't recall if it happened with gnu.org lists or some
> other lists that I moderate.

This part belongs to mailman, I think. I will do more testing to see how
to reproduce it and get back to you to see if you experience the same
issue in moderated lists.

Best regards,
Svetlana

--