Re: Please make a repo for the GNU C Manual

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Please make a repo for the GNU C Manual
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 18:38:49 -0600

Ineiev wrote:
> Richard Stallman wrote:
> > I tried giving my SSH password and then
> >
> >   git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/c-intro-and-ref
>
> That command is for anonymous clone; no password is needed.

I think you will want commit access.  Which requires ssh protocol.
Please use this ssh protocol access instead.

    git clone rms@git.savannah.gnu.org:/srv/git/c-intro-and-ref.git

Note that the repository is as of my testing just now still empty.
Example from my account.

    rwp@angst:/var/tmp$ git clone
git.savannah.gnu.org:/srv/git/c-intro-and-ref.git
    Cloning into 'c-intro-and-ref'...
    warning: You appear to have cloned an empty repository.

That is a test using my "rwp" (rwp not rms) login.  I know they might
look similar.  You will want to use your rms login.  the "rms@" part
is optional if you are currently logged into machine as rms since then
that will be the default for outgoing ssh login account names.  As I
am using my default rwp login in the example.

The c-intro-and-ref repository is currently empty.  But as a member
using ssh you will be able to commit to the repository.  First commit
your files locally using git add and git commit, then publish your
branch with git push, using the appropriate options if you choose to
use a branch name different from "master".  I say this because the
name "main" has become popular of late and if a specific name is
desired other than master than it is easiest to set it up early.

Bob