[sr #110705] gnulib git hooks ignored

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [sr #110705] gnulib git hooks ignored
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 20:07:55 -0400 (EDT)

Update of sr #110705 (project administration):

             Assigned to:                    None => rwp

Follow-up Comment #1:

Hi Karl.  None of those appear on the server side of things.  I think
those are all on your client side.  Maybe.  Possibly.  I'll give that
a definite maybe!

root@vcs2:~# ll /srv/git/gnulib.git/hooks/
total 40
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root  441 Nov 28  2006 applypatch-msg.sample
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root  588 Nov 28  2006 commit-msg.sample
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root  152 Nov 28  2006 post-commit.sample
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   36 Nov 29  2010 post-receive.orig ->
/usr/local/bin/git-post-receive-hook
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root  207 Nov 28  2006 post-update
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root  388 Nov 28  2006 pre-applypatch.sample
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 1696 Nov 28  2006 pre-commit.sample
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 4262 Nov 28  2006 pre-rebase.sample
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4799 Nov 27  2021 update

Therefore I think the pre-commit, commit-msg, post-commit, hooks must
be on your client side of things.  Especially if it happened during a
git-commit.  On the server side if a git-push.

I am thinking that you have upgraded your version of git recently and
now that newer version of git is working on your previously existing
sandbox working copy and a previous version of git created those files
as examples that were not execuable.  But now the newer version of git
complains about this.  Please check your local sandbox and let me know.

Honestly I find that behavior of git rather nasty.  Crass!  Course.
Unrefined.  Definitely less than nice by a lot!

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110705>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.nongnu.org/