Re: Multi from Windows Box

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Multi from Windows Box
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 18:49:15 +0200

Daniel Stolz <address@hidden> writes:

> I wrote an entire e-mail before reading the text that accompanies the
> tramp-sh-program setting.  Assuming that tramp-sh-program is only
> executed locally (as it says), I have rewritten the e-mail.
>
> Kai Großjohann wrote:
>
>>Daniel Stolz <address@hidden> writes:
>>

>>>I get an error stating 'Cannot find /bin/sh' or something like
>>>that. The error appears immediately so I'm pretty sure it's looking
>>>for /bin/sh on my home box, not my work box.  Both work boxes are
>>>running Linux.
>>>

>>So _maybe_ it works to change tramp-sh-program to COMMAND.COM or
>>whatever it is that you have got.
>>
> That would be great.  As command.com is not Bourne-sh, I'll cross my
> fingers before trying.

Good idea :-)

>>Do you think that tramp-open-connection-multi should use a different
>>variable,
>
> No.  I think a great solution would be if command.com works as
> tramp-sh-program.  Then everything else is seamless.

Please note that Tramp assumes to be talking to a Bourne-ish¹ shell.
All commands that Tramp contains are tailored for that shell.  It
doesn't make sense to change this to command.com syntax, as
command.com is unlikely to be present on the remote system...

But _in that function_, only very specific commands are sent to the
shell.  Therefore, it _might_ work to use command.com in that
function.  (But not in the other places.)

> As an aside, not that I use it anywhere, but does tramp work when the
> remote host is Windows?

Tramp assumes to be talking to a Bourne-ish shell with all the
typical Unix utilities, eg, ls and cd.  So if you set all that up on
your Windows machine (using Cygwin, perhaps) and start sshd, then it
might work.

>> and that there should be documentation somewhere how your
>>trick works?  It's a cool idea, that trick of yours.
>>
> Except that currently, my trick does not work. ;-)
>
> And if changing tramp-sh-program to command.com is the solution, then
> that should be what's documented.

Well, it might work to use command.com in
tramp-open-connection-multi, but it might fail to use command.com in
the other places where tramp-sh-program is used.

That's why I suggested another variable.  Of course, I would document
things properly.  I could even have the new variable default to
command.com on Windows systems.

> By that I mean, if I had tramp-sh-program set to command.com before
> this started, it would have just worked.  In other words, tramp's
> ability to do hops with multi methods is the cool idea.  I just
> found a place where it doesn't work.  Yet.
>
> I'll try setting tramp-sh-program to command.com when I get home.
> Is there anything I should particularly look at in trying to test to
> make sure something else isn't inadvertantly broken.

You could try a method which uses tramp-encoding-command instead of
tramp-encoding-function (similar for decoding).  That's the other
places where tramp-sh-program is used.

kai

¹ Is that the right way to (funnily) say Bourne-like?