Re: Dealing with strange shell prompts

From: lawrence mitchell
Subject: Re: Dealing with strange shell prompts
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 14:46:16 +0100

Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> It seems to happen more often now that Tramp doesn't grok a shell
> prompt after "exec /bin/sh" on the remote end.  I wonder if "exec
> /bin/sh" could be replaced by something else which can be expected to
> work better?

> How about, for example, the following?

>     exec env PS1='$ ' /bin/sh

> I think it works under csh-like shells as well as under Bourne-ish
> shells.  (Note that this command is expected to start a Bourne-ish
> shell, so at this point we're not allowed to assume that we are
> talking to a Bourne-ish shell already.)

> What about zsh?  Does it work there, too?

It works for me under zsh 2.6-beta4, so I'd hope that it can be
expected to work for more recent versions.  (The current release
is 4.0.6).

> And what about people with really unusual login shells, such as scsh
> or this Plan9 thing?  Does Tramp currently work for them?  Will the
> above command work there?

The scsh isn't (as yet) really intended as an interactive shell
(at least according to it's faq), so maybe you don't need to
cater for it yet, however, a cursory glance at the Scheme manual
suggests not.  You might want to try asking on
comp.lang.scheme.scsh though.
--
lawrence mitchell <address@hidden>