Re: tramp (2.0.15); /multi:sudo:address@hidden:/ - Args out of range: []

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.15); /multi:sudo:address@hidden:/ - Args out of range: [], 1
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 19:21:42 +0200

Sacha Chua <address@hidden> writes:

> Using the tramp included in CVS Emacs, opening
> /multi:sudo:address@hidden:/ results in "Args out of range: [], 1"

Whee.  Can you provide a backtrace?  (Please load tramp.el, not
tramp.elc.)

> /multi:sudo:address@hidden:/var works, although I get the //DIRED// ... lines
> at the end.

Yes, is your Emacs checkout really really fresh?  I changed
dired-insert-directory to abstain from passing "--dired" for remote
files in a really recent version of Emacs.

(Oh, but I also made a change in Tramp, and without that change, it
doesn't work.  So I need to update the Tramp version in Emacs, first.)

> Also, I had to set my PS1 to '$ ' in order to get it to even connect,
> as my normal prompt has ANSI escape codes. =) Maybe this can get fixed
> sometime.

It is really difficult.  Tramp uses tramp-shell-prompt-pattern to
grok shell prompts, and if you set that to match your ANSI escapes,
then you should be fine.

Another alternative is to set PS1 to something without ANSI escapes
if $TERM is "dumb".  You can't expect that kind of terminal to
understand the escapes anyway, so this change should be safe.

> My user shell may not be bash, too, and sudo -u root -s actually
> uses _my_ $SHELL, so you could probably unset that or set it to
> whatever shell you prefer. (Or you could just set PS1...) Anyway,
> I'm pretty sure you folks can figure it out.

Hm.  I think that Emacs does "exec /bin/sh" after "sudo -u root -s".
Is this correct?  Then there is no problem.

> Keep up the great work! Tramp is wonderful, and one of the things I
> show off to the few people whom I haven't converted to Emacs yet. =)

Thanks for the heads-up.  As you imagine, I often hear reports of
Tramp *not* working, which can get frustrating from time to time.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)