Re: Possible bug in lisp/tramp.el rev. 2.240

From: Francis Litterio
Subject: Re: Possible bug in lisp/tramp.el rev. 2.240
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 13:28:55 -0400

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Francis Litterio <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Shouldn't it be waiting to see the specified shell prompt ('$ ') instead
>> of the user-configured prompt specified by tramp-shell-prompt-pattern or
>> shell-prompt-pattern?
>
> It should wait for both, in case the sh init files change the prompt
> again.

/bin/sh has two possible init files (/etc/profile and $HOME/.profile).
When /bin/sh is invoked as a non-login shell (which is what happens in
function tramp-find-shell), it does not source either one.  Therefore,
the value of PS1 should not change from the inherited value ('$ ').

The only shell that I know of that gets installed as /bin/sh is Bash.  I
have verified that Bash behaves like the traditional Bourne shell when
invoked as /bin/sh (i.e., it does _not_ source /etc/profile or
$HOME/.profile, nor does it source any Bash-specific files, such as
$HOME/.bash_profile or $HOME/.bashrc).  This is a good thing for TRAMP.

> Should I really be adding yet another variable or hard-coded regexp?

I think you can do away with the match against shell-prompt-pattern and
tramp-shell-prompt-pattern entirely.
--
Francis Litterio
address@hidden