Re: Getting TRAMP 2.0.25 working in NT Emacs 21.2.1 with Cygwin 1.3.12-1

From: Francis Litterio
Subject: Re: Getting TRAMP 2.0.25 working in NT Emacs 21.2.1 with Cygwin 1.3.12-1
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 13:45:17 -0400

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Francis Litterio <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Yes, this is a hack.
>
> Yes.  I feel quite uncomfortable about it.  Two voices are speaking
> inside me.  OT1H I want Tramp to work for Cygwin users, too, but on
> the other hand it's not my fault that Cygwin does such strange
> things.

I agree.  I think your earlier suggestion of having a simple
tramp-temp-dir variable that overrides the local temp directory is
sufficient.  It could be defined something like this:

(defvar tramp-temp-dir
        (if (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
            (concat "/cygdrive/c"
                    (substring (w32-long-file-name temporary-file-directory)
2)))
        "...docstring...")

So it will work out of the box for both UNIX and most Cygwin users, but
still be configurable (for when %SystemDrive% is D: and other odd
situations).

The call to w32-long-file-name is needed because Cygwin doesn't seem to
work with short filenames.  And system-type is 'windows-nt even on 95,
98, ME, etc, so that's safe to test.
--
Francis Litterio
address@hidden