Re: 2.0.26 released

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: 2.0.26 released
Date: 02 Dec 2002 10:37:43 +0100

Klaus-Georg Adams <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

> this is definitely cool and it works like a charm. It took some
> fiddling with the filename syntax (no documentation yet...) but I got

Oops. I wrote something under "External transfer methods" in the Info
pages. Maybe you didn't generate the actual ones?

> it to run with this:
>
> C-x f /smb:<DOMAIN>\<LOGIN>@<HOST>:/<SHARE> RET
>
> where <DOMAIN>, <LOGIN>, <HOST> and <SHARE> are substituted with
> sensible values... (this is on GNU emacs 21.1.1).

That's indeed like a charm, because I haven't prepared it for _that_
syntax :-)

> I was just wondering if it would be possible to somehow preset
> <DOMAIN> and <LOGIN> to default values to save some typing (apart from
> using the environment)...

Hmm. Different to all other Tramp methods, the default setting is
anonymous access to SMB, which (unfortunately often) makes sense.

> On a related note: is it possible to open a file with a literal $ sign
> in the name? In an effort of good will emacs tries to substitute an
> environment variable for the $ and fails miserably. The filename in
> question is the c$ share on a windows host:
>
> C-x f /smb:<DOMAIN>\<LOGIN>@<HOST>:/c$ RET

Yes. You simply need to double the $, in order to handle file name
expansion (the default way to mask $ in file names):

C-x f /smb:<LOGIN>%<DOMAIN>@<HOST>:/c$$ RET