Re: autosaving isn't working.

From: Ryan Hodges
Subject: Re: autosaving isn't working.
Date: 12 Aug 2003 10:33:16 -0700

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 04:22, Kai Großjohann wrote:
> Ryan Hodges <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > For some reason autosaving doesn't work with tramp. As soon as the
> > autosave mechanism is triggered, the following message is printed:
> >
> > Auto-saving...
> > Auto-saving cc_publication_manifest.pm: Opening output file: no such
> > file or directory,
> > /usr/src/build/225504-i386/BUILD/emacs-21.2/src/#cc_publication_manifest.pm#
>
> This looks like a local file.
>
> Do you have problems with autosaving all files, or just remote files?

auto save only fails with remote files.

> What does M-: (make-auto-save-file-name) RET print when you invoke it
> from a buffer where autosaving fails?

When tramp-auto-save-directory is set to nil, the above evaluates to:
        the /usr/src/build.... pathname.

However, if tramp-auto-save-directory is set to a pathname, then the
above evaluates to what its supposed to evaluate to.

Hopefully, that should enable you to reproduce the problem.  I did a
search on google for the error message.  It happened to one other guy
who said the problem just kind of disappeared on its own.

Ryan