Re: Feature request/suggestion

From: Steve Youngs
Subject: Re: Feature request/suggestion
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 07:45:38 +1000

|--==> "KG" == Kai Großjohann <address@hidden> writes:

  KG> I think it could be quite a bit faster to send a shell script
  KG> that does all the detecting in one go.  This would also avoid
  KG> all the problems with caching.

I know I've mentioned this before, but a reminder can't hurt. :-)
Have Tramp "learn" what the settings are for different hosts.

For an initial connect to a host, connect and detect as normal, but
save the results to ~/.tramp/known_hosts.el.  Subsequent connects
would have Tramp consulting ~/.tramp/known_hosts.el[1] and then
skipping the detect phase if it isn't needed.

You would also need a way to force a "connect/detect" process
regardless of what is in the known_hosts.el file.  In the event of
things changing on the remote host.  Probably the best way would be
and addition to the filename (prefix args are already used for
find-file and friends),  for example:

Right now, I use

        /[method/host]path/

If I wanted to force a detect during connection, I could

        /[DET/method/host]path/

Or if I didn't want the detection results saved to known_hosts.el:

        /[DETNOSAVE/method/host]path/

Hmm, now that I see that in black and white, it looks kinda ugly.  But
it's less cumbersome than having to set a variable, and I think the
basic idea is sound though.

Footnotes:
[1]  Actually, known_hosts.el would be consulted every time, just to
     see if we need to detect or not.

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: A94B3003>---|
|              Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.               |